Thursday, May 2, 2013

...The Dreaded Bifocals





Right before my last birthday I had an eye exam.  It had been exactly a year and I knew my eyesight was getting worse. I have been lucky to get away with the “cheater” glasses you can buy anywhere to help you read. 

My eyesight had changed drastically since my last exam and it was time for the dreaded bifocals!  I have four older sisters that are a decade to a decade and a half older than I am.  So, I know what is ahead of me by watching what happens to them. I have been watching each of them get bifocals or reading glasses and knew this day would come for me.

So, I went to a local vendor and was talked into a set of tech-ease glasses. They are supposed to work for people who need to read and work on a computer.  Long story short, I hated them.  They gave me head and neck aches trying to adjust for a little over a week. 

I took them back to the place because the man told me not to worry because I had thirty days to bring them back and get something else.  But, the lady who had the displeasure (apparently) of having me bring them back provided a not so pleasant experience. 

Was she rude?  No not really.  But she made it clear that she didn’t want to “deal” with a return especially one that involved insurance.  All I wanted was simple reading glasses. 

She decided to take one pair back and put in reading lens for me. That way she wouldn’t have to “deal” with insurance yet if I didn’t like these glasses. 

The point of this story is that customer service in some places seems to be non-existent.  As long as I am spending money with you, you will treat me just great. But when I have a return, you can forget the niceties. 

Will I ever go back there for another pair of glasses?  Not in a million years.  There are too many other places that will take my business.  So, be careful when you or your employees are working with a customer who is unhappy or needs to make a change that will cost you time.  The way you treat that customer may cost you more than time, it may cost you their business.  



Suzanne Cormier

Executive Director

BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and

Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment