Thursday, May 9, 2013

...Warren Buffett Rocks! Just check out the video proof



 “But at every turn my sisters would be told -- more through signals than words -- that success for them would be "marrying well." I was meanwhile hearing that the world's opportunities were there for me to seize.”  Warren Buffett from his Fortune magazine essay. 

For many years, women were taught to ensure their future they should marry well.  If they did get to college it was to hook a husband.  So much has changed but yet so much has remained the same.    Recently my mother told me that a distant female cousin of mine was graduating from high school AND getting married.   Both my mother and I were amazed and confused.  We talked about what potential she had and for the life of me; I could not understand the concept of getting married at that age. 

But then again, my mother always taught me (a child of the 80s) that I did not have to marry.  I was lucky enough to go to college and then graduate school.  Marriage was an option, a choice, but so was my career path.  I was never told by my mother that I needed to get married.  When I passed by 30th birthday then my 35th she never told me I was less than I should be because I wasn’t married.  But I was fulfilling my career path.

We all need strong role models in order to help us fulfill the potential within us.  I believe looking to men and women who teach young women that they can do anything they want is the best gift we can give the next generation. 


Making sure that women are empowered by everyone is a concept that will one day become a reality.   


Suzanne Cormier

Executive Director

BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and

Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment