Tuesday, May 7, 2013

...At Least They Tried




I was reading a string of emails on a list serve regarding failing businesses.  One person asked if business failure is a step toward success and stated that most people will experience it along the way.  But another person wrote that failure is not always on the path to success and that planning is the key.

So, does a perfectly well thought out business plan spell success?  Or does it take a few failures along the way to get it right?  Honestly, I’ve seen it both ways. I have run across more and more people, who after filing bankruptcy are starting their own business.  I have seen people who have had great success their first time around with no planning at all. I’ve seen businesses with great planning and forethought fail miserably.

What then is the key to success? I wish I knew.  I’d definitely spread the word.  Here’s what I believe. I believe that just because you have seen failure doesn’t mean you can’t have success. I believe that everyone can get lucky sometimes and with no planning, strike it successful with a great business.  I believe that it is also possible that all the planning in the world won’t guarantee success.

So the formula is elusive.  There really isn’t a one size fits all do this and it will work plan for making a go of a small business.  But I believe that everyone who is successful and everyone who fails has one thing in common- they all tried.  



Suzanne Cormier

Executive Director

BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and

Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment