Thursday, May 30, 2013

...Do I Have to Beg You to Take My Money?


 
I was shopping at a Big Box store (think Sam’s or Costco) the other day.  When I went to check out they had two registers open- two- count ‘em –two, with lines trailing down the aisles.    I was talking to the lady behind me and said that I hate to have to beg someone to take my money. 

This happens at this same store on the weekends also – which I don’t understand.  Managers know what times are busy and what times they need to have people on cash registers, yet you almost always have to wait and wait for a line to open. I don’t mind waiting in line, but I do mind seeing only two cash registers open with people backed up in the aisles waiting on service.   

So, I’m wondering when you are running your business- do customers have to wait a long time for your service or product?  Do you or your staff call people back in a timely fashion?  Do you say on your voice mail that you will call back by the end of the day and fulfill that each and every time?  If you don’t, you will be losing potential customers and current ones too.  The old saying is true- you should always under promise and over deliver.  This builds your customer confidence. 

If people find it a hassle to get in touch with you or you do not return phone calls or deliver goods/services when you say you will, those customers will go to someone who will. I can tell you that when our Big Box store membership comes due this summer we will be checking out their competitor to see if they do a better job.   

No comments:

Post a Comment