Tuesday, November 19, 2013

...When an Apology Goes Horribly Wrong



When LuLulemon was having problems with one of their garments, one of their co-founders decided it was best not to own up to the mistake but took a unique approach.  Lululemon co-founder Chip Wilson responded, "Frankly, some women's bodies just don't actually work for it [...] they don't work for some women's bodies. It's really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time, how much they use it."

Um, so women’s thighs rub together and it’s their fault?  Wow.  How could someone allow a response like that to escape their lips?  Let’s just blame the customer instead of owning up to the fact that what we made wasn’t really the best quality.  I’ve been reading other’s responses to this and have come to the conclusion that when people thought they were going to get an apology they got more of the same. He said “I’m sad. I’m really sad. I’m sad for the repercussions of my actions. I’m sad for the people at Lululemon who I care so much about that have really had to face the brunt of my actions. I take responsibility for all that has occurred and the impact it has had on you. I’m sorry to have put you all through this.”  Never once did he apologize to the women “whose bodies just don’t work for it.”

He has taken a huge chunk of the market and basically told them he doesn’t want or care to have their business.  Good for him that there must be enough really thin women with thin thighs who can be privileged to pay $100 for a pair of his yoga pants. 


Sometimes when people say stupid things and then compound them with more stupid things the best thing they can do is just be quiet. 


Suzanne Cormier
Executive Director
BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and
Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment