Tuesday, October 29, 2013

...How Hard Do You Work To Keep Existing Customers?





Do you work hard to keep existing customers or spend all your money and energy looking for new ones when the old ones leave you?  My recent experience with two cable companies has me asking this question.  Wouldn’t you think it would be cheaper to take care of the customers you already have as opposed to letting them go and having to spend money to acquire new one?

Example, our cable bill kept going up after our contract ran out with a cable company.  We called and asked if they would consider lower the bill, they really didn’t have much in the way of offers for “existing customers” only new customers.  So, after a while we decided to switch providers to lower our monthly bill.  That experience with the other provider has turned out to be a nightmare with their customer service. I am hoping it will get better.

Now think about what that costs our cable company?   They have to pay someone to take our old equipment, which has to be checked, and then returned to them. Plus they sent me a box by Fed Ex to return the equipment after I told them I would take it directly to them- that cost money to send to me. 


Wouldn’t this have been a whole lot easier if they had just given me a discount of helped me reduce my monthly bill?  It’s amazing to me that the two companies I have been dealing with stay in business at all. 


Suzanne Cormier
Executive Director
BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and
Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment