Thursday, October 31, 2013

...Does Clean = Calm

Life is too complicated not to be orderly. – Martha Stewart


So I decided to channel Martha Stewart this morning after leaving my house via my wonderfully clean, organized garage.  My husband and I have been doing a lot of work around our house and the garage has been the main place to drop off everything from paint cans to bags that go to donation.  So we (really I) decided we should clean out the garage this weekend (I admit my husband did the lion’s share of the work)  The result?  Clean floors, bags off to the donation center, bag of garbage ready to go out and mostly a huge sigh from me when I left for work this morning.

I’m not sure what it is about a clean, organized space but it really makes me feel calm inside. I actually sighed last night when I went out to the garage for something and again this morning when I left for work.  It’s the same way with my office. Sometimes we are in the middle of a really busy time and my desk and table just get piled up and I have a hard time thinking. There are times I have to stop and put papers in piles and throw some things in recycle to feel like I have a little more control over things.


What gives you that sense? What makes you sigh with relief and satisfaction for a job well done?  Think about your work space- does it help when you are clutter free or do you thrive on clutter? Everyone is different so it’s OK either way.  Today take a look around your space and decide if it’s what you want it to be.  You might just be rewarded with a huge sigh (I love those).


Suzanne Cormier
Executive Director
BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and
Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment