Tuesday, February 12, 2013


Give Me a Break 
(Don't worry it's good for business)


When life comes at you fast and you are trying to balance your work, your home life and time for yourself, it can get complicated and stressful.  When I used to work with hospice families, I always spoke with the caregiver about carving out some time for them to take a break from caregiving.  It was always hard for them to do because they felt guilty about going out and taking a break from their loved one.  I always explained that as someone tending to the needs of another, they needed time away to rejuvenate and distress.  By taking care of themselves, they would in fact be better caregivers.

The same is true with a lot of things in our lives.  Whether we are caring for small children, a sick loved one or our own business, it’s important to have that time to ourselves.  When we allow ourselves to get overly tired, or stressed we aren’t our best selves.   

I experienced this recently taking care of my mother when she needed some extra care for a while.  My sisters were there to give me a break but I felt reluctant to take time for myself.  But what I discovered was the very thing I used to tell caregivers.  When I went out for a while, or just back in another room for a while to read or watch television and unwind, I came out feeling better.

The bottom line is no matter what your responsibilities are; you need to make the time to get away from it from time to time. It doesn’t have to be for a long period of time and it doesn’t mean you need to take a vacation out of town.  Just a little down time, coffee with a friend, a good meal at your favorite restaurant or a movie can help you take a break from the stress of the business. You will feel better and find that you aren’t as stressed when you are running your small business, if you just give yourself a break every now and then.  

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment