Tuesday, June 25, 2013

...It Pays To Be Nice




My husband and I were driving through our neighborhood this weekend and one of our neighbors was getting yard work done.  The man doing the yard work threw up his hand enthusiastically like he knew us.  He has done this on many occasions.    

My husband asked if I knew him. I said no.  Then I said you know I think he is just being a smart businessman. Of course my husband looked at me with that quizzical look, waiting on an explanation. 

What I told him was that a smart business person is always friendly wherever they are especially when out on a job, when they have on a shirt with their business name or driving a vehicle with their name on the side.  If I needed to hire a lawn person which person am I going to choose?  Would I choose the one in my neighborhood who is always friendly and waving, the one who never looks up, or choose one out of a list?  Maybe I’d get a referral, but if I didn’t, I’d go with the friendly person who seems approachable.  

Business owners and their staff do themselves a disservice when they are unfriendly or rude to others in the line of their work.  I’ve seen it happen and you always remember the person who chose to be helpful.  It just gives you a good feeling. 

So, business owner, how do you and your staff treat others when you are out on a job?  Not just your customers but anyone you come in contact with?  Remember that a friendly smile and a wave might just get you business.  And even if it doesn’t it probably makes people feel good and that’s worth spreading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment