Thursday, January 23, 2014

...Do What You Are






“Here's some practical advice: Do not what you love; do what you are.” 
                            --Penelope Trunk, Founder and CEO of Brazen Careerist


I love this quote. I came across it online.  I have to say I’ve never bought into the whole do what you love theory of starting a small business, because frankly not a lot of people ever really get to do what they love. And let’s face it; don’t we all LOVE a lot of things?  Like food, sex, wine or beer, reading, skiing  etc., but not everyone can make (or should make) a living at those things!



I think it’s more about who you are than what you love when it comes to building a business. It also has to do with your talents and skill set.  Sometimes having a strong skill set can help you build a successful business.  Sometimes it’s the education you have that might help you build a great business. 


I think it’s more important to know how to do the type of business you want to do and like it a lot help but I don’t necessarily think you have to love it to be successful.  

Suzanne Cormier
Executive Director
BizWorks (Small Business Incubator)
Follow Suzanne Cormier on Facebook and
Twitter @BizWorksCenter

No comments:

Post a Comment